I’ve inherited firearms, now what?

Our parents are aging and when they move to long term care, or heaven forbid, pass on, we are left with their home, estate, and lots of work. When an estate includes firearms, things can be a bit tricky. We want to immediately make sure they are safe and secure (especially if their house is now vacant) and if you are not familiar and comfortable with firearms it can be scary.

The first step is to secure any firearms and ammo. The goal is to make sure all guns are unloaded and safely secured. Securing firearms include unloading and placing a trigger lock (or zip tie) to prevent operation, storing any ammo separately and locking everything securely (preferably in a safe). Keep in mind that your loved one may have ‘stashed’ firearms or ammo in multiple locations (check closets, basements, attics, desks, mattresses, etc).

*A note of caution: We have found multiple collections with unsafe materials ranging from grenades to howitzer shells and damaged ammo. It was not uncommon to bring back ‘war souvenirs’ and many of them have aged and are very dangerous. When in doubt, contact the ATF, State PD or local PD for help.

With the firearms and ammo secured, the next question becomes what to do with them long term. Essentially there are four options:

  • Sell/Give them to a family member, friend or other private party. You will most likely get the most money from a private party sale but you are responsible to comply with all state and federal laws, including the filing of a DPS-67-C and DPS-3 with the State of Connecticut. See our post on private party sales and the State of Connecticut for more information.
  • Sell to Safe Guns CT. We come to you, handle all of the paperwork, and provide quick cash. We can’t pay as much as you might get from a retail private sale but we will buy all firearms, ammo, militaria and other similar materials you may have. More information about our process is available here.
  • Sell to a pawn shop or other FFL. In this case you are responsible to safely secure and transport the firearms and ammo. Make sure you see a copy of their FFL before you sell to them. Additionally, Connecticut requires you to have a permit and follow strict guidelines to transport any firearms. More info here.
  • Turn in the firearms and ammo to the local PD. If you do not want to handle the firearms at all, you can contact your local PD and they can help. Each PD has a different process and you should ask about what happens to the firearms you surrender. Some destroy the firearms, some sell them. Either way, you are surrendering them and will not receive any money unless they happen to have an active buyback program.

No matter what you decide to do with the firearms, the number one thing is to make sure they are kept safe. You did not ask for the responsibility but it is yours now.

Safe Guns CT is happy to help and does our best to respond to your contact within 24 hours and meet you within 24-48 hours. For more information feel free to text or call us at 860.294.4498 or email safegunsct@gmail.com.